There are many reasons why somebody would want to adopt an adult, but the main reason is to legalize the loving parent-child relationship that has existed in a family. For example:
- An aunt raised her nephew all his life.
- A stepparent who has been in his/her step-children’s lives for decades, but never got around to formally adopting the children.
- A same-sex person whose marriage is now recognized by the state can adopt their spouse’s child, even if that child is now an adult.
- A rekindled relationship between birth mother and her child, after she placed them for adoption as an infant.
- Other reasons may include legally recognizing a person as a child for military benefits, retirement benefits, and for estate planning purposes.